5 Gallon Water Bottles - US Or UK Gallon?

Topic locked
5 Gallon Water bottles - US or UK Gallon? Jan 31, 2013
Can anyone tell me if the 5 Gallon water bottles of drinking water, as sold in Dubai, are 5 US Gallons or 5 UK Gallons?

Thanks, Dave.

DNCUK
Dubai Forums Member

Re: 5 Gallon Water Bottles - US Or UK Gallon? Jan 31, 2013
Its the UK gallon Dave.

As a side note do you know why the US gallon is smaller?

The difference between the Imperial gallon and the smaller US Gallon might be explained by the fact that, in the post medieval past, the whiskey filled barrels leaving the shores of UK didn't have the same content when arriving in the new world....
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

BMreformed , wow... thanks for the very informed answer... so if it's the UK Gallon that means it's equal to 22.73 Litres
DNCUK
Dubai Forums Member

BMreformed ,

As you may remember when you were at school, you were taught that a "Pint of clear water weighs a pound and a quarter".

Well the Americans in their wisdom decided that a pint of water should weigh a pound and with 8 pints to the gallon this gives the difference.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: 5 Gallon Water Bottles - US Or UK Gallon? Feb 01, 2013
DNCUK ,

Now you're testing my maths skills! Yes, multiply 4.546 lts to the gallon by 5 and you get 22.73 lts to 5 gallon.

From wiki

A German Government report on fuel prices dated 2010/11 stated that the Imperial gallon is used as a unit of measure for fuel in Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda and formerly in the United Arab Emirates. The United Arab Emirates switched to using litres on 1 January 2012.[14] The US gallon is used in Liberia, Belize, Colombia, The Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Myanmar (Burma), Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico and the United States .[15]

I love the internet. What did we do before the www?

--- Feb 01, 2013 ---

sage & onion wrote:BMreformed ,

As you may remember when you were at school, you were taught that a "Pint of clear water weighs a pound and a quarter".

Well the Americans in their wisdom decided that a pint of water should weigh a pound and with 8 pints to the gallon this gives the difference.

Damn yanks.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: 5 Gallon Water Bottles - US Or UK Gallon? Nov 08, 2013
DNCUK ,
DNCUK wrote:Can anyone tell me if the 5 Gallon water bottles of drinking water, as sold in Dubai, are 5 US Gallons or 5 UK Gallons?

Dave... very late reply, I know, but I have to correct BMreformed's answer.

I know for a fact that it's 19 lit. to a 5-gal. bottle & that makes it U.S. Gallon (approx. 3.78 lit. each). I believe some of the bottles may even indicate the contents in lit. on the bottle itself.

Cheers... FreeWater

P.S.: I do drinking water for a living.
FreeWater
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat