Excuses For Not Paying Your Rent.

Topic locked
Excuses For Not Paying Your Rent. Apr 03, 2013
I wondered if anyone would like to share the excuses they've given for not paying their rent on time? Or, if you are a landlord, the excuses your tenant has given you for either paying late or not paying at all!

I've rented, for a few months, to a variety of people during my few years in Dubai and it never surprises me to hear excuses for not paying on time.

Here are a few. They are all true.

Oh sorry, I gave it to my wife's driver last week. I'll check.
Sorry, the driver forgot to pay it into the bank. I'll get it off him and pay it in asap!

Sorry, I was out of town in AD. There wasn't a bank.

Sorry, I was making the most of the cool weather and hired a jeep and went to Oman. I'll transfer it asap!

Sorry, I haven't been paid.
Still waiting to be paid!

And last but not least.....

I thought it was free.

BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Excuses For Not Paying Your Rent. Apr 03, 2013
Admittingly in my student time it did happen sometimes I was a month behind with my rent. The tenant never made a problem though, the money always came as soon as possible.

Some years ago I loaned money. When after 2 years I proposed a pay back schedule I got the rely: "you are a pathetic looser, trying to be the big guy by lending me money and now you want it back, so you can spend it on drinking beers". Rat face. If you think you heard it all.

Here are some ones for not paying an invoice:
-we never got it
-we thought your company logo didnot look right

Did you get your money BM?
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

FlyingDutchman wrote:
Did you get your money BM?

Not yet.

As Diana Ross would say 'I'm still Waiting'

I'm not going away quietly.

--- Apr 03, 2013 ---

I am reminded of an excuse I once gave to the Police in the UK.
I was driving down the M6 in a hurry to get to Manchester airport when I approached a police van in the middle lane doing 90mph. As the speed limit is 70mph I thought it was just a driver taking the van for a test drive.
I over took him.
Immediately he put his blue lights on and pulled me over.
'Why did you overtake me at 98mph?' He asked.
I told him I didn't think he was a real police man as he was breaking the speed limit.
Not an excuse really, just the truth.
He actually did not fine me but gave me a bit of a talking to about speed.
We carried on our journeys with me keeping behind him. I had to wait for him to pull off the M6 before I could put my foot down in case I missed my flight.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

BMreformed wrote:'I'm still Waiting'
That's such a bummer BM!
I myself have never reneged on any commitment that I ever made, whether it was paying rent or paying off a loan. And I dont like anyone else doing that to me.

A few years back, a tenant of mine started dilly dallying about rent that was owed by him. He was never available on the phone; either away on business in another city or another country. It was always his wife that answered the phone. His cell phone was either switched off, or when he answered, he was either in a meeting or driving (according to him) and he promised to call me back, but never did!

He presumed that since I was so far away, there was little I could do.

Well, there was a few things I could have done, but I was so furious that I caught the next flight home and landed on his doorstep in 24 hours! That really surprised and embarrassed him; he offered to raise the rent and pay the 6 month advance immediately, but I told him he had just 48 hours to clear out of my property. And which he did.

He didn't get a penny back from the 2 months security deposit that I usually take from all tenants.

I hope you can find a way to put the pressure on and get your money as soon as possible. Let me know.
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Well there are a few measures I'm considering. As he claims he isn't paying one week because he hasn't been paid, it's my duty to name and shame his company. Real Estate companies that are in trouble should be avoided at all costs. The Internet is a great way of keeping people informed.
The other two weeks he owes, he claims were free weeks. That's a new one on me!
He has clarified that he knows the property law and I won't have a case in the Court (for various reasons). I have clarified that I know THE law which states that you cannot co-habitate with a woman you are not married to.

I'm deciding on my next step over a few beers at happy hour.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

BMreformed wrote:THE law which states that you cannot co-habitate with a woman you are not married to.
Thats a good one to hit him with. You need clear thinking, not beer!! :shock:

--- Apr 03, 2013 ---

BMreformed wrote:He has clarified that he knows the property law and I won't have a case in the Court (for various reasons)
And I am sure he is bluffing on that one, but you clarify it with someone knowledgeable about all this sort of business. Is he in the Real estate business?
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

That's you take post dated cheques when you sign a tenancy agreement, less problems.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Excuses For Not Paying Your Rent. Apr 04, 2013
I have worked on a trust basis whenever I have let my place short term Nucleus. I haven't been let down until now.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

I hope that you have some sort of proof that this con-man stayed for 3 weeks in your flat!
I would agree with Nucleus that having post-dated cheques is a good way of ensuring that you get paid, in the future.
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jonkers wrote:I hope that you have some sort of proof that this con-man stayed for 3 weeks in your flat!
I would agree with Nucleus that having post-dated cheques is a good way of ensuring that you get paid, in the future.

He stayed four months Jonkers. This was the arrangement. He moved in on November 15 and left on March 22.
All of what has been said between us is documented in emails.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

I've always just offered post-dated checks like was mentioned earlier. Not because I'm afraid I won't pay on time but just because it makes my life so much easier.

I just get so upset when the landlord decides to cash/deposit the check late, doesn't he want his money. -.-
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat