Dubai 88.8 Radio

Topic locked
Dubai 88.8 Radio Mar 30, 2010
Anyone know whats the name of this radio station? I am kinda liking their music and its non stop!! No blah blah nonsense chat and stupid ads...

dale
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai 88.8 Radio Mar 30, 2010
It might be one of the 2 new stations that are running out of Abu Dhabi. The reason it's none stop music, is because it's a test transmission and hasn't actually lanched yet. Fear not the chatter, ads, news etc etc will all come.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I hope they keep testing it for a long time. Whats the frequency of the other one?
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Mmmm not sure 97.3 or something like that. I know a few guys working for them, they're due to launch in the next month or so.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Cool i'll check it out!!!
dale
Dubai forums Addict

yeah 97.3 is terrific, they don't play the same 8 songs over and over. from listening to it, it seemed like someone's ipod and every 90 min they remember to play a new pop song. its made my commute into AD easier every day.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

LOL that'll soon change! I know the guy programming the music!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:LOL that'll soon change! I know the guy programming the music!

great means i'll have to stop listening altogether to the radio and go back to my own ipod. it was refreshing to hear the wide range of music they played. oh well, guess it'll be cookie cutter like the other stations, which is a shame.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai 88.8 Radio Apr 10, 2010
its stil going on 88.8 fm

it seems choco...is talking out her choco... :wink:

(joke)

cool station mind
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Dubai 88.8 Radio Apr 11, 2010
er no they keep putting their launch date back.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I've been hearing that station for atleast 6 months if not more and its still the same. 97.5 I get Bahrain FM ! on my radio. Clearly those people have still a long way in radio presentation and DJ's

Anyways hoping that the new stations turn out to be something decent and not a transplant of brit stations. You can switch between UK and dubai and literally wont know the diffrece as to which one your listening to.( well not in the car anyways, me car wont catch BBC radio 1 :D )

Had enough of current brit pop, rock and most of the other garbage. I swear If I hear another song from Dizze Rascal I will go crazy !

Until such a time I sticking to classic hits B-)
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Well unfortunately you have to understand the way the market works here, which is mostly governed by agencies and their clients, and that's what they want! Which is why stations look to the US and UK markets for their playlists, with maybe a few local ones thrown in here and there. Plus it's an MTV generation and that's what the kids want.

You can't have a station with a random format, because it won't make any money and unfortunately radio stations have to attract advertisers and spondors/promoters etc, because you can't pay your staff with peanuts.

At least the UK charts and music scene is fluid, the US market stagnates for weeks if not months on end.

Being a music programmer is no easy task and I'm thankful that I get to playlist things that some of the other stations dare touch.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:You can't have a station with a random format, because it won't make any money and unfortunately radio stations have to attract advertisers and spondors/promoters etc, because you can't pay your staff with peanuts.

Yours does!!

Hahahahahaha!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It's not random! It's hot top 40 CHR. Basically and amalgamation of Radio 1/Capital and Galaxy from the UK and Z100 from the US.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

when you are driving, pull up the windows, crank the ac on and just make your own music ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat