Dubai Earthquake Tremors

Topic locked
Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 16, 2013
You probably know about this already but not long ago, there were some tremors in Dubai following a 7.8 magnitude earthquake off the Iran-Pakistan border. I personally felt nothing but when my fire alarm went off, I called the guard and told him that there was no problem, he replied bluntly with "There is an earthquake coming please come down."
LOL. I went down and I saw everyone in my building calling friends and relatives haha. To pass time, I played some soccer with a bunch of mates :D
What happened in your area?

prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 16, 2013
The earth moved for me too. :D

My friend just text me and confirmed JBR was still standing.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 16, 2013
We felt it in the Ranches, some shaking but no damage
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 17, 2013
sage & onion wrote:We felt it in the Ranches, some shaking but no damage

Two tremors in two weeks Sage. Someone has upset Allah.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 17, 2013
BMreformed , I suspect it is because Justin Beiber announced he is going for a second gig in UAE lol!
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 18, 2013
prowheels wrote:BMreformed , I suspect it is because Justin Beiber announced he is going for a second gig in UAE lol!

I saw him in a sttreet in London a few months ago. I don't see what all the fuss is about. He's turning into a bit of a diva with his demands and his baby monkey. Another child robbed of his childhood.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

The last earthquake in Dubai was probably in 2004. It scared the crap out of a lot of people who spent a wakeful night riding in their cars. Many of them had probably never experienced an eq before in their lives.

It is really a scary feeling if you are in a tall building that begins to sway and shake!
What I would not like to happen to me is to be trapped under tons of rubble, alive and conscious, and knowing that there is little chance of any one getting to me soon to rescue me!

There was an earthquake in Pakistan in 2005 I think. A tower of flats collapsed and the young son of a colleague of mine was trapped in the basement. He was unscathed, and was in contact with his parents by mobile phone for a few days, till his batteries ran out. By the time they got to him through all the rubble, he had died of suffocation. He was 20 years old, and was in University in Australia and home for a short visit.
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jonkers wrote:The last earthquake in Dubai was probably in 2004.

It was the week before last actually. Two inside a week. Not everyone felt it, but they did in Mirdiff

There was an earthquake in Pakistan in 2005 I think. A tower of flats collapsed and the young son of a colleague of mine was trapped in the basement. He was unscathed, and was in contact with his parents by mobile phone for a few days, till his batteries ran out. By the time they got to him through all the rubble, he had died of suffocation. He was 20 years old, and was in University in Australia and home for a short visit.

Thats a very sad story. How awful for the family. Thats my worst nightmare and the reason I never want to be buried even when I'm dead. Burn me please. (after hitting me on the head to make sure I'm dead)
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 19, 2013
That is indeed a sad story. I met the parents afterwards and I can tell you they were not the same people that I had known. They were devastated.

Well, once one is dead, it doesn't really matter how the body is disposed of, is it?

The Zoroastrians, or Parsees, worship Fire and the Sun, and are a dwindling group of highly educated and successful people (with huge businesses, including even in Dubai), that inhabit parts of Iran, India, and Pakistan. They take their dead to a specially constructed place called the Dekhma or the Tower of Silence. There the dead body is placed on a raised 'Tower' and specially kept birds of prey then eat it.
In Parsee Zoroastrian tradition, exposure of the dead is additionally considered to be an individual's final act of charity, providing the birds with what would otherwise be destroyed.
My mind simply cannot accept this to happen to my body!
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 19, 2013
Jonkers , yeah everyone is frightened because the shakes of earthquake in Dubai.

me and my parents was feeling that disturbance too.
MarkHenry012
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 20, 2013
What part of Dubai do you live in Mark? Near to Mirdiff?
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 20, 2013
It was the biggest earth quake in 50 years, it was felt in all UAE. It was felt as far as in Dehli.

--- Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 pm ---

I didn't felt others, but this one I felt too. chandeliers in the living room were swinging.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Dubai Earthquake Tremors Apr 21, 2013
Nucleus, when was the last one? I mean, before this most recent one. Was it 2004? Were you there?
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nucleus wrote:It was the biggest earth quake in 50 years, it was felt in all UAE. It was felt as far as in Dehli.

--- Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 pm ---

I didn't felt others, but this one I felt too. chandeliers in the living room were swinging.

Ohhh! Chandeliers in the living room! That sounds well posh! I've always wanted a chandelier!

Who dusts it?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

A Chinese made should cost about AED 2000. If you want one :D
You don't have to dust it. The dust makes it look nicer. During an eartquake it makes a tinkling/chinking sound that makes it all so surreal.
In an eartquake I know its a Big One when I hear the decoration pieces crashing as they fall off the mantlepiece!
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jonkers , I'm very sorry to hear that!
Nucleus , Am I the only one who felt absolutely nothing?
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

prowheels wrote:Jonkers , I'm very sorry to hear that!

That was the saddest incident I have ever encountered Prowheels.
And other bizarre things happened during that e.quake. An Airline pilot was about to leave for an Intercontinental flight and came home briefly to visit his family. They were having breakfast when the eq struck. His entire family of 5 (including his wife and 3 young children) died. Their maid had gone out to the shops, and was the only survivor.
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

This is a very somber topic. I hope EH isn't reading it. :P
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat