DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT

Topic locked
DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 05, 2011
Greetings from Dubai, telling you this from my experience a couple of months back. this is how it went down.

Being without a car in Dubai is like getting ur legs cut off, anywhere you want to go u'll have to think twice or even thrice and plan your trip accordingly, not that their's no public transport or taxi's... we have plenty of those here, but the timing of busses? or the waiting for taxis even booking them through the RTA call center? they all have unavoidable delays and with the summer heat with humidity... its just simple, without a car its really really hard.

So, i have a licence from my country for the past 14yrs, i've been driving in KSA without a licence for 5yrs, and when i came to Dubai i wanted to do the same, so for the past three years being in Dubai, i've been driving without a licence. YES. i did until last august of 2010.

The reason behind being caught is unavoidable Accident, thankx God no one got hurt except my car, and the other car which i had an acceident with it was like untauched. So, i tried talking with the guy for like eternity to just let me go due to my car without insuarance and he refused, the fact that his car was in perfect condition and he refused to let me go.. i was sooo frustrated yet shaking all over. coz u cant imagine how worse was my situation, ok here it goes.

- No Licence
- No Registration
- No Insuarance
- No Authorisation from the Company (thats what i told them, but the car is mine under companies name)
and with the accident it was my mistake 100%

How deep is the rabbit hole i had taken myself into, i kept wondering. so the police came, took me to the Qusais station, after the statement, i gave them my passport so as to wait for the court date.

At the court amount is mentioned to other road offenders like nothin, ranging from 5,000 to 24,000 AED. with the highest amount that is DUI of alcohol. So the first court appearance the judgment was not passed, i was given another date after two weeks, and when i went back again they gave me two weeks of sleep less nights just thinking how much it will be.

Finally the 3rd time appearing, the judgment was passed and my fine was 2,700AED. that is including 300 AED for the tail light of the other car which had a very small crack. So, please if u do come to dubai or you are in Dubai already, dont think about driving without a licence.

For Traffic violations if you dont have the payment, you go to Jail and in there 1 day represent 100AED. so am glad i had that amount but if i didn't have the amount that is 27 day's in Jail.

I am just thinking of the indian guy who was sitting with me on the second time in traffic court, he was drunk and took a wrong turn 23,000AED and he dint have the money, i am sure he is still inside coz those are 230 days in Jail.

Otherwise, I am about to start my 20 classes with Emirates Driving. hopefully to get my licence before June. the heat is rising.

Drive Safe, Carefully and with a Valid Licence. i learned my lesson.

SaaS
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 05, 2011
A lesson learned, good post!

Once you have your license, don't forget to carry it with you. I got fined 300Dhs once just because I couldn't produce my license on the spot. I had just popped up to the shop and there was a random check on the Jumeirah beach road near the mosque.

Let's be careful out there!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Its only common sense. EVERY COUNTRY HAS A DRIVING LICENSE SO NO EXCUSE FOR IGNORANCE.

If you had hit me without insurance, license, registration etc and I was injured, I would take you for every penny I could for blood money.

Just so you dont have another ignorant moment, you would not get out of jail until I was fully paid and believe me I would make sure.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

SaaS wrote:I am just thinking of the indian guy who was sitting with me on the second time in traffic court, he was drunk and took a wrong turn 23,000AED and he dint have the money, i am sure he is still inside coz those are 230 days in Jail.

its funny that people killing others on the road can get away with much less than that...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
SaaS wrote:I am just thinking of the indian guy who was sitting with me on the second time in traffic court, he was drunk and took a wrong turn 23,000AED and he dint have the money, i am sure he is still inside coz those are 230 days in Jail.

its funny that people killing others on the road can get away with much less than that...

True point BBR
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 07, 2011
Depends on your nationality :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Depends on your nationality :(

Reminds me of the recent story about a British(?) man who, when backing out of his driveway, ran over his daughter and killed her. The housemaid didn't think to keep the child away from the car. He was arrested for "murder" and didn't get much sympathy, just a load of crap. I do believe he was released because they determined it wasn't intentional. :shock:

Following that incident, there were two separate incidents where the same thing happened to two locals - each backed up and ran over their child. Never said that were arrested for "murder", but got plenty of sympathy. :x

In all three instances the lives of three children was lost and three people live with causing the deaths. :(
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

The most recent one is an Aussie man who accidentally ran over his son. When he comes back from laying the nipper to rest, chances are he'll stand trial.

And yet the Emirati mother who had 7 people in her car, was speeding and probably no one was wearing seat belts, two children died and authorities 'might' see if there are charges to be laid against her. :shock:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:The most recent one is an Aussie man who accidentally ran over his son. When he comes back from laying the nipper to rest, chances are he'll stand trial.

And yet the Emirati mother who had 7 people in her car, was speeding and probably no one was wearing seat belts, two children died and authorities 'might' see if there are charges to be laid against her. :shock:

OK, that's the case I was referring to that's why I questioned (?) his nationality.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

In 2004, a local lady in Mirdiff reversed her Landcruiser out of her garage at speed and took out a Gulf News delivery boy on his motorcycle. She hit him so hard, the man ended up in two pieces in the road.

She was not arrested or charged.

At the inquest she admitted to not looking before she pulled out as she was talking on her mobile phone via hands free.

The insurance company paid AED 10,000 in blood money to the family of the man and she went free as a bird.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

The OP was about driving without a licence and insurance and now it's evolved into how the locals get away with murder. :roll:

@Saa5. Well I do wonder how long you would have continued to drive without the necessary paperwork if you had not been caught? You state that you drove in Saudi for 5 years without a licence and intended to do the same in Dubai. Your excuse is that there is always a delay when calling a taxi and the buses aren't convenient.

To be honest, you got away very lightly and you should thank your lucky stars. People like you should have the book thrown at them. But full marks to you for coming on DF and admitting your mistake. I hope it serves as a warning to others of the danger of flouting the laws of any country.

As for the Indian who was driving whilst drunk and took a wrong turn. I hope he still is in prison, as this is where he deserves to be. I am just thankful he didn't have a head on collision with anyone and then deprive a family of some relatives.

Good luck with your driving lessons. You really don't want the hassle of having to get public transport in the summer do you? Still i'd rather catch the bus than serve any time in prison, or worse, be responsible for the death of some other unsuspecting motorist or pedestrian.
Bethsmum

Bora Bora wrote:
kanelli wrote:Depends on your nationality :(

Reminds me of the recent story about a British(?) man who, when backing out of his driveway, ran over his daughter and killed her. The housemaid didn't think to keep the child away from the car. He was arrested for "murder" and didn't get much sympathy, just a load of crap. I do believe he was released because they determined it wasn't intentional. :shock:

Following that incident, there were two separate incidents where the same thing happened to two locals - each backed up and ran over their child. Never said that were arrested for "murder", but got plenty of sympathy. :x

In all three instances the lives of three children was lost and three people live with causing the deaths. :(

Well in the first case, he was being negligent. the others were just fate.

Personallly i believe all of them were fate; but whatever...

-- Sat May 07, 2011 10:09 pm --

Recently i hit a wall at 5kph when reversing. There was a small scratch, so I went to the station to get a report, as it was a rental car.
The guy gave me a report, then took away my license which i can only collect next week after paying a fine by taking a day out of work, as they work 8-3 on weekdays only :(

Anyone else think this is a bit too harsh for my "crime" ? I though they only take away licences if its a serious accident or i hit some other car
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 08, 2011
Why did you hand your licence over to a car hire firm? Surely only the police can take your licence?
Bethsmum

@BBR: Did you check the wall??? Did you damage it??? :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:Why did you hand your licence over to a car hire firm? Surely only the police can take your licence?

Its the police that took my license.
I always thought they took it away for "dangerous" offences, and not touching a wall when reversing you car in an undergrund parking.
In this case, he didnt even see what happened as I took the car to the station.

Btw, the guy said the fine was 200 dhs; is that a fixed amount, or can the guy at Barsha arbitrarily increase it ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:Btw, the guy said the fine was 200 dhs; is that a fixed amount, or can the guy at Barsha arbitrarily increase it ?

Well BBR, it looks like you got off lightly! as it would appear, and by your own admission, the officer in Barsha charged you with the lesser offence of ‘reversing dangerously’, had the charge been ‘Abuse of parking space’, you would have attracted a further 3 Black points!

Violation No, 88 3027 Reversing dangerously, AED 200 Fine

Violation No, 118 3112 Abuse of parking space, AED 200 Fine & 3 Black Points

:)
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 09, 2011
I don't get the whole "fate" thing, and does it only apply to Emiratis?

If someone is yakking on their phone, driving 140 down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic, with kids playing loose in the backseat of the car and suddenly there is an accident and the kids are thrown from the car and die, some people say, "Oh, it was fate." (Unlike the Lebanese woman who was in an accident at 9 months pregnant and the baby died and she was charged with the death of her unborn baby.)

If you have children or pets outside of your house, you make sure they are standing to the side where you can see them before slowly reversing. Everyone should check from their windows and mirrors before reversing. It is not "fate" to kill someone by an accident due to carelessness.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Blaming something on fate, or Inshallah is a cop out. Fate is something you cannot control, like if it's your time to go then that's it. But with regards to accidents - actually I really don't want to call it an accident, as it could so easily have been avoided - there are things that you can do to reduce the risk of anything happening.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Well, for a better understanding of ‘fate’ in the Arab world I think you need a better understanding of Sharia Law, I’ll give you an example, I was in Qatar in the early 80’s and a Scot, (for Scot, read infidel and foreigner) en route to Doha airport in a Taxi, was side swiped by a Qatari who, having almost missed his turn off from the ‘C’ Ring Road, a notoriously dangerous road to travel, cut across three lanes and his rear NS collided with the taxi’s front OS, resulting in the Qatari’s SUV rolling and killing the driver, the taxi driver and the Scot were arrested.

At the hearing, it was found, that as the occupant of the taxi was a foreigner, had he not been in Qatar, there wouldn’t have been an accident, the Scot was found culpable, fined and imprisoned, the taxi driver, a Muslim, was released without charge.

I don’t know what happened to the Scot, I left Doha soon after, what may appear illogical to a western educated Christian, makes complete sense to a Muslim and Sharia Law.
Dillon

Dillon, that sounds so bizarre!!!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I agree with Chocs and K. When one has a choice, it is not fate or destiny. When you have a choice of doing the right thing or the wrong thing, that is not fate. It is a choice that someone makes. Fate and destiny is the unknown - something no one has control over, such as the person who dies in a car accident because someone make the wrong choice - driving while driving, careless driving, etc. To say Inshallah, or it was God's will, is a poor excuse for making a wrong decision - put the blame on God because one can't take responsibility???

Mr BB had a very hard time collecting money from his brother-in-law because it appears that it was God's will that he didn't pay the money back that was due Mr BB. :o Whenever Mr BB asked him about it all he got was "Inshallah, Inshallah". Apparently he thought that the longer he kept blaming God for non-payment, eventually Mr BB would come to terms with the fact that it was God's will that he wasn't going to get the money back. :shock: Mr BB would have had to take the loss if BIL just said: I'm not going to pay you. Mr BB got the money back over a period of time as it came in small payments, and BIL never saw another fil from us!!! :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Dillon wrote:I don’t know what happened to the Scot, I left Doha soon after, what may appear illogical to a western educated Christian, makes complete sense to a Muslim and Sharia Law.

No it doesn't and neither is it law. Your smarter than that to make that conclusion mate.
desertdudeshj

The decision of the Sharia court was a declaration of law, and what other conclusion can anyone make of it?
Dillon

The conclusion you should have made of it was that it was totally absurd.

What actually is and what people actually make or intrepet of it are two different things. According to any Islamic text that scot would not be held responsible for anything.

If he was driving and he caused the accident then yes. Infact if the SUV driver had not been killed, he would have been responsible for any injuries and damage to property of the scott and the cabbie.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:The conclusion you should have made of it was that it was totally absurd.

What actually is and what people actually make or intrepet of it are two different things. According to any Islamic text that scot would not be held responsible for anything.

If he was driving and he caused the accident then yes. Infact if the SUV driver had not been killed, he would have been responsible for any injuries and damage to property of the scott and the cabbie.

Well that's my point entirely, and I'm sure most people would agree with those sentiments, but I don't interpret islamic text, the Sharia court did that.
Dillon

A few years ago (2003 to be precise) a local appeared in court after hitting a western expat woman in her car on the Jumeirah Beach Road. The police report clearly stated it was the local's fault, however he contested it and it ended up in the Court of First Instance.

His defence: "This is my country and if this woman had not come here, I would not have hit her!"

He was found guilty and fined 2000 dhs on top of having to make good the expat woman's car.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 10, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:A few years ago (2003 to be precise) a local appeared in court after hitting a western expat woman in her car on the Jumeirah Beach Road. The police report clearly stated it was the local's fault, however he contested it and it ended up in the Court of First Instance.

His defence: "This is my country and if this woman had not come here, I would not have hit her!"

He was found guilty and fined 2000 dhs on top of having to make good the expat woman's car.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Aah, I wonder if this fellow ever worked as a judge in Doha?

:shock:
Dillon

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT May 10, 2011
Dillon wrote:The decision of the Sharia court was a declaration of law, and what other conclusion can anyone make of it?

People often try to pass off cultural nonsense by naming it Sharia so that less people will question it. The case you mentioned was just plain old racism in Qatar.

It does worry me; I have heard if someone drives recklessly or jumps a red light and hits you and then dies, you are still liable for his death ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: DRIVING IN DUBAI WITHOUT LICENCE!!! DONT THINK ABOUT IT Jul 21, 2013
SaaS , yea , if you have an international licence you can just get a rental

better than getting involved in all that shit
bossman
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat