Bycicles On Dubai Roads - Population Control?

Topic locked
Bycicles On Dubai Roads - Population Control? May 29, 2006
I just heard on the car radio that Dubai will become "Bycicle Friendly" by providing bycicle parking stands and dedicated bycicle lanes. This is either:

1. The stupitidest idea ever conceived (I think stupidest is a word).
2. Or an ingenious way of population control (if you thought there were too many deaths on Dubai's roads, just wait)
3. A calculated stunt by "Scourers R Us" to diversify into the funeral business.

Nevermind that in the summer you may be able to pedal a couple of revolutions before you are exhausted, pass out and get run over by a car, thereby disrupting traffic flow (in both directions).

Next thell have pedestrians only streets - with access to vehicles "restricted" with orange cones!

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 29, 2006
Sometimes its really unsafe to see these guys on bicycles riding on the wrong side of the road. I almost hit one of them the other day. I guess a lane would help.

However, the reality is that most of the labor class can only afford to be mobile in Dubai using bicycles. Some cant even afford the bus.

I guess by introducing this, the municipality is trying to better the situation.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2006
A64Venice wrote:Sometimes its really unsafe to see these guys on bicycles riding on the wrong side of the road.

I find it really annoying too. But then I wonder why :? . What's the difference between a cyclist coming towards you and one going the other way? You have to give them the same amount of room either way. So I don't really get why it annoys me so much.

From their POV I guess it's safer to "face the enemy" ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2006
Somehow I think its rather bizarre to use the words bycycling and Dubai in the same sentence... What with our cool summers and world class drivers???
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 30, 2006
This reminds me of a Dubai tourist guide I read before I was coming here. It said things like, Most people drive cars, public transport is limited...etc. Then it said, and I remember it exactly, "it is odd to see someone riding a bycycle in dubai."

The point is these people cant afford the alternative.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 31, 2006
Look out for the gardeners riding their bikes in Mirdif...towing a lawnmower behind them!

I am a cyclist and I can tell you, its better to see the bastards coming at you than risk them taking you out from behind...there seems to be a total blind spot from people here. I ride on the pavement!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 31, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:Look out for the gardeners riding their bikes in Mirdif...towing a lawnmower behind them!

I am a cyclist and I can tell you, its better to see the bastards coming at you than risk them taking you out from behind...there seems to be a total blind spot from people here. I ride on the pavement!

Knight

This is what I don't understand-they ride into traffic which is stupid and illegal but they won't ride on the pavement. True it is also probably illegal but it isn't stupid!! :roll:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 31, 2006
Oh, can I also note that all these cyclists are men!! :lol: :lol: Perhaps that just explains everything!! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 31, 2006
GAB wrote:Oh, can I also note that all these cyclists are men!! :lol: :lol: Perhaps that just explains everything!! :lol:

We cannot ride on the pavement most of the time...as the women car drivers have abandoned their Jumeirah Jeeps all over them!

You will see me hurtling down the SZR, holding onto the back of a Merc or a Ferrari just to get a free ride!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 31, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
GAB wrote:Oh, can I also note that all these cyclists are men!! :lol: :lol: Perhaps that just explains everything!! :lol:

We cannot ride on the pavement most of the time...as the women car drivers have abandoned their Jumeirah Jeeps all over them!

You will see me hurtling down the SZR, holding onto the back of a Merc or a Ferrari just to get a free ride!

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Did you know it is a AED150 fine for doing that!!??? :shock:

Hey, I've seen it all in Dubai, so I wouldn't be surprised-I have a great photo of someone who tried to make the Starmart on Al Wasl a drive through- so some guy hanging on to the bumper of a Ferrari won't even get a second glance! :P
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

drive through May 31, 2006
Hey
I saw that drive through in the paper at the star mart was a expat women apparently
uaeaussie
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 31, 2006
Apparently so, Filipino according to our pump attendent.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 31, 2006
GAB wrote:Apparently so, Filipino according to our pump attendent.

He obviously knew they had an offer on PSD's inside and took the fastest route to get to them!

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 31, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
GAB wrote:Apparently so, Filipino according to our pump attendent.

He obviously knew they had an offer on PSD's inside and took the fastest route to get to them!

Knight

Yes, women.......and Fayz, will do anything do get their hands on those PSD's. My husband told the attendent they probably thought it was a drive through.Obviously equiped with a keen sense of humour, he replied "No, not drive-thru'-they crash". (Did I mention I saw one in an ad for The One about a week ago in a soap dish?I thought they were mocking Fayz.)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 31, 2006
Better a soap dish than in the bottom of a urinal!

These agencies are just taking the pi$$!!

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 31, 2006
Ah, a predictable joke but nonetheless it made me larf.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 02, 2006
GAB wrote:This is what I don't understand-they ride into traffic which is stupid and illegal but they won't ride on the pavement.

Illegal - yes.
Annoying - yes.
Stupid? Why? The more I think about it, the more I think it's sensible - especially in Dubai traffic.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat