Beer Or Lager?

Topic locked
Beer or Lager? Jul 03, 2011
It has been one of the most beautiful weekends in the English Lake District and yesterday I spent a most pleasurable afternoon at one of the local agricultural shows.
There cows and sheep galore and all manner of people, although I only saw one brown person, well more like black and he was with a blonde dolly bird :D . Not relevent to this story, but thought I would mention it, with all talk of us whiteys becoming extinct sometime soon. LOL.

Well I did a once round the show field and headed for the beer tent. One can only admire so many cows and sheep on a hot afternoon. The tent was filled with flat caps having banter about the price of coooows, gimmers and tups (sheep to us mortals).

Jennings of Cockermouth is our local brewer and although it was a Carlsberg tent it was awash with local beers. I won't call them real ales as, to be honest, I'm not sure how an ale becomes a real ale.
I could choose between a pint of Sneck Lifter, Cumberland Ale, Cocky Blonde, Laughing Gravy or a pint of the Worlds Biggest Liar! I was stuck for choice but decided on a pint of Heinekin with a splash of lime.

I find there's nothing nicer than sitting on the grass drinking a pint of lager and lime on a lovely summer afternoon.

How about you? Lager or beer?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Beer or Lager? Jul 03, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:It has been one of the most beautiful weekends in the English Lake District and yesterday I spent a most pleasurable afternoon at one of the local agricultural shows.
There cows and sheep galore and all manner of people, although I only saw one brown person, well more like black and he was with a blonde dolly bird :D . Not relevent to this story, but thought I would mention it, with all talk of us whiteys becoming extinct sometime soon. LOL.

Well I did a once round the show field and headed for the beer tent. One can only admire so many cows and sheep on a hot afternoon. The tent was filled with flat caps having banter about the price of coooows, gimmers and tups (sheep to us mortals).

Jennings of Cockermouth is our local brewer and although it was a Carlsberg tent it was awash with local beers. I won't call them real ales as, to be honest, I'm not sure how an ale becomes a real ale.
I could choose between a pint of Sneck Lifter, Cumberland Ale, Cocky Blonde, Laughing Gravy or a pint of the Worlds Biggest Liar! I was stuck for choice but decided on a pint of Heinekin with a slash of lime.

I find there's nothing nicer than sitting on the grass drinking a pint of lager and lime on a lovely summer afternoon.

How about you? Lager or beer?

Gee BM I hope you weren't sitting near any cow chips! :lol: and that your eyes had a better view and not looking at the backsides of livestock. :lol:

I drink the occasional Heinekin or Grolsch (sp?). I bought a bottle of Pimms at the suggestion of a good friend who said it made for a refreshing drink, but I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it. Any suggestions???

PS: One black man and one white woman procreate equals 1 brown person!!! :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

There is a time for everything. On a quite evening I like the ales, just enjoying and trying different ones. Going out, usually I go for Heineken (I also select my pubs on which beer they have on tap). Around 15 years ago Grolsch celebrated its 100th birthday and put 6 special beers on the market. All of them were so good! Only the Canon I can still buy, but have not seen it in Dubai. So if anybody knows where to score a Grolsch "Kanon" in Dubai, I would be much obliged. Too bad the other 5 I never saw back, best beers I ever had.

One of the few tours I still want to do is a weekend tour around the Belgium monastaries (and it ain't for confession), but we can never decide who will on the designated driver. Recently somebody came up with Ahmed, an illegal taxi driver. He might drive us for not much. We asked for a copy of his driving license, we are still waiting for a reply.

I remember the first time (and last time) I was piss drunk. End of my teenage years I came home with an alcohol breath and not clear thoughts. The man of the house got angry and I thought now I am gonna get, being grounded for months or something. Instead he toke out 6 "Duvels" and I had to finish them within an hour. I felt so bad, sick and distusted, I learned my lesson well and never got piss drunk afterwards, always knew when to stop. Thinking about it, a very unorthodox, but very effective way of punishment. Drinking a Duvel nowadays still makes me chuckle inside.

Cheers!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Belgian Beer Bar at the Movenpick Festival City has a wide choice of lager type beers.

BB: Pimms is a wonderful drink, just mix a single shot with lemonade and plenty of ice in a tall glass and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Often best served if made in large jugs and add a little sliced cucumber, very refreshing on a hot summers evening!

Personally: Guinness all the way. Extra cold if possible!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Bora Bora wrote:Gee BM I hope you weren't sitting near any cow chips! :lol: and that your eyes had a better view and not looking at the backsides of livestock. :lol:

I drink the occasional Heinekin or Grolsch (sp?). I bought a bottle of Pimms at the suggestion of a good friend who said it made for a refreshing drink, but I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it. Any suggestions???

PS: One black man and one white woman procreate equals 1 brown person!!! :lol: :lol:

LOL Well Bora, in my part of the world the polite term for cows excrement is a cow pat, but that term is rarely used and is more commonly known as shite. To be honest the local farmers wives are not all that and the view of a cows arse would be the better view. The men are about the same too :(

FD would be the best person to review Grolsch I think, as it's local to his part of the world. When I lived in Germany I worked for NAAFI (the British Forces shops, equivelent to your PX's) I had to deal with the beer reps. The Grolsch man was always one of BM's favourites :D He was tall and drove a Volvo. He once gave me a Grolsch towel, amongst other things, I still think about him occasionally :lol:
Does that describe you FD? Tall, I mean?

As for Pimms, well I'm not really a Pimms person, but I believe you mix it one part Pimms, one part lemonade and add it to chopped fruit for a long fruity drink :drunken: I could be well wide of the mark here! I'm trying to think who may be a Pimms person on DF. I'm not sure there would be one, maybe the Ambassador!! I bet Dillon has a receipe tucked up his sleeve!

PS I think you must mean one black man and one white woman makes a brown baby! I once knew a woman who had a chinese looking baby when her husband was white and she reckoned it was because she spent a lot of time in Singapore as a child :bounce: Thankfully all BM's children have been born white and I've never had to resort to big fibs. Beth is quite tall tho! LOL

Ahh! I see FD and DK have replied whilst I was writing! There you go FD is a Grolsch fan and DK is giving Pimms recipes!
Bethsmum

185cm (6.07). And when in Holland I drive a Volvo. :shock:

Grolsch towel hey? I know a wonderfull trick with a Grolsch towel.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:185cm (6.07). And when in Holland I drive a Volvo. :shock:

Grolsch towel hey? I know a wonderfull trick with a Grolsch towel.

My Grolsch man showed me a few tricks FD but never one with a towel. Is it fit to share with us?

BTW you never worked for Grolsch did you? Beth's a fine looking girl :D
Bethsmum

Dubai Knight wrote:Belgian Beer Bar at the Movenpick Festival City has a wide choice of lager type beers.

BB: Pimms is a wonderful drink, just mix a single shot with lemonade and plenty of ice in a tall glass and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Often best served if made in large jugs and add a little sliced cucumber, very refreshing on a hot summers evening!

Personally: Guinness all the way. Extra cold if possible!

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Thanks DK. I hope the Pimm's doesn't have an expiration date. :lol: The spirits in my house will turn to pure alcohol eventually. Yes, I remember my British friend mentioning something about cucumber, but not lemonade!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:Is it fit to share with us?

Ai ai, wished I didn't mention it now and I hope people can take a joke. Anyways, there is a whole story behind it while foulding the towel in different figures. In the end a nun's head cover changes with the stroke of the pinky into a dong. :oops:

Bethsmum wrote:BTW you never worked for Grolsch did you?

No.

Bethsmum wrote:Beth's a fine looking girl :D

I am sure she got that from her mum.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Real ale is a beer brewed using natural, traditional ingredients and left to mature after a secondary fermentation takes place in the container from which it is served, whether bottle or cask. It is this process which makes real ale unique amongst beers and develops the wonderful tastes and heady aromas which processed beers or lagers can never provide.

Just in case you’re still wondering, my preference would be a real ale with beer a close second, lager would be a last alternative, although as FD has posted, there are exceptions, I rather like Orangeboom lager and beer from Holland.

FD, my father did exactly the same to me when he found me smoking at the age of around 15, he used to smoke Capstan Full Strength, a very high tar cigarette, and he made me smoke them until I was physically sick, I stopped for a while, but I enjoyed smoking anyway, I did however stop on the birth of my first Son, almost 30 Years ago and none of my 3 children have ever smoked.

Pimm’s No 1 Cup is a summertime favourite, http://www.anyoneforpimms.com/recipes/
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Flying Dutchman wrote: there is a whole story behind it while foulding the towel in different figures. In the end a nun's head cover changes with the stroke of the pinky into a dong. :oops:

I can't say I've ever seen that trick FD! :D

Flying Dutchman wrote:I am sure she got that from her mum.

Maybe her looks but not her height. I'm sure Grolsch played a part somewhere :D

-- Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:31 pm --

Dillon wrote:Real ale is a beer brewed using natural, traditional ingredients and left to mature after a secondary fermentation takes place in the container from which it is served, whether bottle or cask. It is this process which makes real ale unique amongst beers and develops the wonderful tastes and heady aromas which processed beers or lagers can never provide.

Just in case you’re still wondering, my preference would be a real ale with beer a close second, lager would be a last alternative, although as FD has posted, there are exceptions, I rather like Orangeboom lager and beer from Holland.

FD, my father did exactly the same to me when he found me smoking at the age of around 15, he used to smoke Capstan Full Strength, a very high tar cigarette, and he made me smoke them until I was physically sick, I stopped for a while, but I enjoyed smoking anyway, I did however stop on the birth of my first Son, almost 30 Years ago and none of my 3 children have ever smoked.

Pimm’s No 1 Cup is a summertime favourite, http://www.anyoneforpimms.com/recipes/

I knew you'd have a recipe Dillon!
Well I'm not sure if Jennings produce real ale, I think not from the way you describe the process. I once went on a brewery tour and can't remember all that, but after sampling Sneck Lifter, I can't remember that much, to be honest. I once went on a brewery tour of the Carlsberg Brewery in Cyprus, and there was me thinking Carlsberg was brewed in Denmark. I always prefered Keo in Cyprus.

I remember when I lived in Singapore as a kid, from the age of 6 till 9 years old. My dad would bring home cases of Tiger Beer, he told me he got it on prescription, and I believed him, too. That was my first sip of alcohol and I still love Tiger Beer.

My lasting memory of coming home drunk was at the age of 16. We were living in married quarters in London but were due to move out the very next day. Everything was shining like a new pin and ready for inspection the next day when I rolled in, after saying a sad farewell to all of my friends, and was sick on the newly polished floor. My mother chucked a bucket of cold water over me and I have a memory of my lovely false eyelashes floating away (well it was in the 70's :D )
Bethsmum

Re: Beer or Lager? Jul 09, 2011
Well I went to my favourite liquor store yesterday and guess what I found? Jennings Snecklifter and Cumberland ale in bottles, so I bought some and delicious they are too! But I was ultimately drawn to Marston’s Old Empire, an export quality India Pale Ale for my bulk beer purchase, I don’t know, there was just something in the name I guess?

:lol: :lol:

I'll bet there's only one other on DF who, without the aid of Google, can tell us what a 'sneck' is?

:lol:
Dillon

Dillon wrote:Well I went to my favourite liquor store yesterday and guess what I found? Jennings Snecklifter and Cumberland ale in bottles, so I bought some and delicious they are too! But I was ultimately drawn to Marston’s Old Empire, an export quality India Pale Ale for my bulk beer purchase, I don’t know, there was just something in the name I guess?

:lol: :lol:

I'll bet there's only one other on DF who, without the aid of Google, can tell us what a 'sneck' is?

Oh I can tell you Dillon! Its a door latch and you still see plenty of them round these parts.

Taken from the jennings website
In northern dialect sneck means door latch and a sneck lifter was a man’s last sixpence which enabled him to lift the latch of a pub door and buy himself a pint, hoping to meet friends there who might treat him to one or two more.

Fancy you coming across Sneck Lifer in Dubai! You can't beat quality. It's even better on tap.

I don't know how long it takes to think up these names for beers and it doesn't suprise me that you were drawn to Marston's Old Empire!

That's the power of marketing for you :D
Bethsmum

:lol: I was in fact giving you the credit of knowing what a sneck and snecklifter was and was guessing the one other would have been DK of course.

And there's inflation for you, my first snecklifter was 1/-11d for a pint of Mild and a whole 2 bob for Bitter :shock: and now I guess it must be upwards of £2?

Dillon

I couldn't say off the top of my head how much a pint of Sneck Lifter is at the moment, Dillon.
I did a bit of bar work in a Jennings pub back in 1992/3/4 and it was £1.65 then. I bet it's double that now.

We were out from work last night and we had a kitty. I only put £10.00 in and I'm sure I must have had 5 pints of larger and lime. I came home sober as a judge. I must remember that for the future.

I think I heard the best(or worst!) chat up line ever! It went something like 'my tongue is six inches long and goes 100 miles an hour and I can breathe through my ears!'

They're a class lot, them from the Town Hall :lol:
Bethsmum

Well as my good friend Eric Clapton tells me in his song 'It's Easy'

If you need a woman, in bed with you
Tell her in front, what you can do
It's easy
Easy as pie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxk11D-mpY

Although I can see coming up with the goods a bit of a problem for your Town Hall Employee? :lol:
Dillon

I like a man who can come up with the goods :D
Bethsmum

Re: Beer or Lager? Jul 10, 2011
^^ :lol:
Dillon

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat